Wednesday 30 April 2014

Book Review: That's Not My Dinosaur


Pretty sure this isn't my dinosaur...
 
Those of you who have been following my Blog know that dinosaurs feature prominently in my favourite literature.  So it's no surprise that I am able to formally convey my extreme appreciation for the excellent text that is "That's Not My Dinosaur".

This book is part of the Usborne Touchy-feely series written by Fiona Watt and illustrated by Rachel Wells.  Overall this series is truly spectacular.  Although the theme of the books is similar, each volume has its own unique character and subject. 

The premise of "That's Not My Dinosaur" is that you have a dinosaur (yes please!), but you can't find it (oh no!) and you have to check out a bunch of dinosaurs (yes please!) to determine whether those dinosaurs are yours (one is!).  Most of the dinosaurs are pretty easy to rule out because (for example), their horns are too rough, or their teeth are too bumpy.  I mean COME ON, as if my dino is going to have such bumpy teeth! 

The only drawback here is that the suspense is almost too intense and self-doubt can start to creep in.  Will I ever find my dinosaur?!  What if I don't?!  Will it find a nice family to live with?  Does it have enough to eat?  Are my dinosaur's teeth that bumpy?  Maybe they ARE that bumpy.  I can't remember if I even checked my dinosaur's teeth the last time I saw my dinosaur.  Oh my gosh, does my dinosaur even HAVE teeth?!  I don't have teeth.  WHY DON'T I HAVE TEETH?!

Bottom Line: WHEEE!!!  A real page turner, so long as you don't overthink it...

No comments:

Post a Comment